10 December 2014

Noël Éternel in my hometown

Noël Éternel store front 2011
Noël Éternel window display 2011
It's hard not to think about my old hometown this time of year. Especially in this place where Christmas is...well, it's not, shall we say, indigenous. And sometimes I really miss the sights and sounds of the season. I know, I know, you're probably overwhelmed and feeling saturated by now but I miss it. The sights, the sounds and the window shopping!

A few years back I was lucky enough to be back in my old hometown to celebrate a birthday. It was a great, great birthday, I must say. And because it was somewhat close to December the town was done up for the holiday.

One day I took myself down to the old port and wandered endlessly till late evening. On the way back to my hotel I stopped at Notre Dame to light a candle (in memory of my Mom). Upon my exit I stumbled on to this shop just across the street, Noël Éternel

Now, I well remember how, as a kid, there would be a night I'd be taken downtown and hoisted up in front of a department store's window to gape in amazement at an array of mechanized toys whirling round and round in some fantastic diorama. Well, this discovery was a little like that!

No comments: