05 December 2013

This time of year is often full of memories - Alive Inside

Memories of Christmas' past -- it's one of the things I love and hate about this time of year. But imagine if you were losing your memories...the bad and the good. Isn't it nice to know that the sound of music and song can bring them back? Provide some comfort and warmth?

I saw first hand how music could do this during my mother's own battle with dementia / alzheimers. When she got agitated I'd pop on her headphones and play The Inkspots which never failed to calm her down and make her smile. I've been following the Alive Inside project for a while now and was happy to read this morning that it's made it to the Sundance Film Festival!

I'm thinking of working on my own playlist of favourite tunes just in case. I will definitely include a few Christmas tunes...The Christmas Song by Nat King Cole, White Christmas by Bing and the version of  Baby, it's Cold Outside by Sigourney Weaver and Buster Poindexter on SNL...oh, and 'Zat You, Santa Claus? by Louis and James Andrews Christmas in New Orleans, and...hmmm, I can see this might end up being a pretty long list!

What would yours include?



No comments: