11 December 2013

American Routes: Christmas in New Orleans 2005

Looking for some out-of-the-ordinary seasonal listening? Well then, you should check out this episode of American Routes. What is American Routes?

American Routes is a weekly two-hour public radio program produced in New Orleans, presenting a broad range of American music — blues and jazz, gospel and soul, old-time country and rockabilly, Cajun and zydeco, Tejano and Latin, roots rock and pop, avant-garde and classical.

And the episode in question is THIS one from December 2005 - the first Christmas after the devastation of hurricane Katrina.

After the Storm Christmas - American Routes
I stumbled across it after finally watching the first episode of Treme's 4th and final season. And then, hoping to immerse myself in all things N'orlins, darlin', I started googling. I came across a reference to something called "Treme Explained." WHAT a treasure trove of info! As well as discovering how I'd messed up the lyrics to John Boutté's theme for Treme (it's BUCK jumping not BUG jumping...well, at least I knew it was about dancing) I also found the link to American Routes. And so, so, so much more.

I know this kind of thing isn't for everybody but it is for me! I guess that's why I have a degree in Folklore.

Really?! - Yes, really.

No comments: