30 November 2011

Eggnog Alternative - Ponche de Creme

Years ago, one of my brother's got me into drinking Christmas eggnog. So good! I thought his secret was the sprinkling of fresh nutmeg on top but it may have been the rum. He used quite a bit! Have no idea what rum he used but it was during the years that he and his family were going to Jamaica so chances are it was Appleton. Although I've tried making it myself over the years, my brother's eggnog was the best.

Being somewhat calorie conscious I hardly ever drink it now, but I have been thinking about it an awful lot lately. Probably that eggnog latte I had at 2nd Cup last week. Anywho, in looking up recipes I came across this Trinidad and Tobago tradition for something called Ponche de Creme. These are the ingredients:
  •  4 eggs 
  •  1 tin condensed milk (390g) 
  •  1 carton evaporated milk (250ml) 
  •  1/2 bottle rum (approx 1 1/2 cups of dark or white) 
  •  3 tbsp Angostura aromatic bitters 
  •  1 tsp grated nutmeg 
  •  2 tsp lime rind (optional) 

So, if you're looking for something a little different this year try it out. I think I'm going to. Just need to get me some bitters.

No comments: